For one day only, farmers are opening their barns, hoop houses, coops, and pastures to foster a better understanding of their day-to-day life working to bring food to our tables. The Monadnock Farm Tour provides an opportunity for farmers to infuse their pockets with much needed income and for consumers to get to know their farmers better.
NEW THIS YEAR!
- Farm fresh sandwiches, salads, gelato, turnovers, cookies and more!
- Branch & Blade Beer Garden at Archway Farm
- Monadnock Berries' fruit-infused ale at Granite Roots Brewery
- Pig-training demonstrations
“We live in a very rich, diverse, and somewhat undiscovered agricultural region in New England”, according to Roe-Ann Tasoulas, MFCC director. “Visitors can enjoy a weekend at a farm stay, go on the Tour to meet the faces behind Walpole Valley beef, Earth Haven beefalo, or Echo Farm puddings. Learn how Sun Moon Farm grows its food and makes its bread, purchase an alpaca sweater at Crescendo Acres, or enjoy a fruit-infused ale at Granite Roots Brewing. There is an abundance of opportunities to both buy fresh food and products, and to experience how they are grown and produced.”
The Monadnock Farm Tour offers an endless supply of activities for children to enjoy – egg collecting, make it & take it crafts, milking cows, visiting with miniature horses, goats, sheep, chickens, alpacas, and rescued draft horses, as well as numerous scavenger hunts. Connecting children with how food is grown nurtures an appreciation and respect that food is not indispensible and farms are vital to their future.
Cost for the Monadnock Farm Tour is $5/individual or $10/car. Buttons can be purchased at farmsduring Farm Tour hours only. All proceeds go to pay for next year’s Monadnock Farm Tour.
Monadnock Farm Tour tips:
· Bring a cooler! You’ll be able to buy produce, eggs, cheese, meat and other farm products at most of the farms
· Plan on visiting 3 to 4 farms, budgeting 1 hour for each
· Please take time to use the hand sanitizer provided at each farm after petting an animal. Some farms may ask to disinfect shoes to prevent farm-to-farm transmission of germs that might stick to shoes
· Bring sunscreen, hats, bug dope, water and cash
Rules: No pets allowed, no visiting farms after hours, no entering farm homes.
MONADNOCK FARM AND COMMUNITY COALITION is a regional coalition of 89 member organizations who meet quarterly to cultivate community action and build collaborations supportive of a robust, sustainable local food system throughout the Monadnock Region.
Learn more at www.mfcommunitycoalition.org
THE MONADNOCK TRAVEL COUNCIL was founded in 1990 to provide a comprehensive travel promotion program for the Monadnock Region tourism related businesses. The travel council provides a forum for communication in the Monadnock Region and to represent the region to other regions in New Hampshire, statewide, nationally and internationally. www.monadnocktravel.com